Thursday, January 8, 2015

#ThrowbackThursday - How I Lost 10 Pounds on A Paperless Diet

Today's #ThrowbackThursday brings us to a post I wrote about going paperless which I've been committed to for nearly a decade. 

What was fun about this post, aside from the topic, is that it was one of my first forays into figuring out SEO. I fooled all sorts of weight loss Googlers into reading my post, boosting the numbers into the hundreds, which at the time, was pretty exciting. However, I also realized from the analytics that once they arrived, they weren't interested in the content and left abruptly. 

This post showed me the value of quality of quantity and it also has some great ideas about going paperless.  I hope you enjoy.


Written: April 6, 2008.  

Topic: How and why I decided to go paperless.

Who might be interested: Any educator who wants everything they'll ever need at their fingertips and doesn't want to carry that stuff around.

Favorite excerpt: "I explained that in my position I had no access to a laptop or digital material and though I had access to a desktop it was shared by numerous people making it difficult to reliably access. Mr. Fischer said, "Well, I'm looking to hire someone who’s ready to change all that." 

Reader question: Are you paperless? Why or why not?

Post:

How I lost 20 lbs in a month on a paperless diet

I walked into my interview for a position at the Office of Instructional Technology with a huge blue wheelie bag containing 25 lbs of necessities for my literacy coach position. Inside my bag was the balanced literacy curriculum (in what was known as the big red binder), a bunch of notebooks containing the latest reading and writing workshop units of study, binders with notes on the work I was doing with teachers, and folders containing information that supported my coaching work. I was interviewed by Troy Fischer who looked up, pointed to my wheelie bag and said, "If we are to consider you for this position you'll have to get rid of that thing." I protested explaining I am the type of person who needs to have all resources at my fingertips wherever I am so I wasn't quite sure I could agree. 

Read the rest at http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-i-lost-20-pounds-on-paperless-diet.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment